When you’re a business owner, there are a million and one things to think about every day. From overseeing the day-to-day running of the business to liaising with clients and staying on top of financials, it can be easy to forget about investing in what needs to be your number one priority. I’m talking about company culture.
At Rising Tide HQ we have our company manifesto up on the wall to remind myself and my team members what the company stands for.
In my experience, ensuring that your team feels invested in what you are trying to achieve is vital to success. Let your team engagement slip and before you know it you’re in big trouble.
So how do you make sure your staff feel like they’re part of a team working together for a common goal? Here are my top tips:
- Write a short business plan and display it in a prominent place so that your team is constantly reminded of why they are there.
- Make time to have a one on one coffee meeting with each of your team members at least once every month.
- Create goals that your staff members work together to achieve as a team. The Rising Tide team are currently working towards achieving their targets to win a team trip to Queenstown New Zealand!
- Treat your staff from time to time. Take them out to lunch or shout them drinks on a Friday night.
- Don’t rush the recruitment process. Take plenty of time to ensure you pick the right people to join your team in the first place. This prevents problems from occurring down the track.
Chris Browne is the Founder and Managing Director of Rising Tide Financial Services as well as a highly regarded business coach, mentor and industry expert.